2 January 2017

A Look Back On 2016: Life, Love, Friendship, Travel & Blogging





Hey Everyone! Firstly I'd like to start this post off by wishing you all a very Happy New Year! I hope you all had a fabulous New Year's Eve and are now ready for the rest of 2017. I know it's seriously cliched of me but I can't believe how fast 2016 went. It seemed to just fly by. I'd thought I'd kick 2017 off on my blog with a look back at 2016 and just talk about all the amazing things that happened and some things I wish could have improved. 2016 has definitely not been a bad year for me. I know a lot of people wished it away but I honestly had a pretty amazing, fun filled, happy year. This has been one post I always look forward to writing and have wanted to write this since December began so I hope you all enjoy reading about my 2016.

Life 
2016 personally for me was a pretty amazing year. I learned to live a little more and spend more time outside away from my laptop and in the process I met so many incredible people and became inspired in so many different ways. 2016 was also the year I became a lot more confident at work and in the process became permanent in September which really made 2016 for me. Now that I am permanent I can finally start to work my way up and see where it leads me. I'm in a job I've wanted since I was very little and now that I have it, there have been a few difficult moments and it's definitely not all peaches and roses but I love my job and I am excited to see where it takes me. I also decided in 2016 to get more involved with music. I went to a lot more shows, met some amazing people in the industry who inspire me daily and even decided to go back to the violin. The violin is something I took up from the age of 7 to 17. I got to Grade 7 and then unfortunately because I had a not so nice teacher I decided to pack it in. If you read my previous post then you will know I got a violin for Christmas and I am so excited to get back into it again. 


Friendships & Relationships  
2016 was the year I made a lot of new friends, rekindled old friendships I thought I had lost and also learnt to appreciate the friends I've had for over 10+ years. It's been a challenging year and I'm not the easiest of friends to have so it's been the year of seeing who can truly be there for me through difficult times. I've realised just how many amazing friends I have in 2016 and 2017 will definitely be the year I be the best friend I can possibly be. 

Relationships on the other hand are a completely different story. I met someone who I thought was so different to any other guy I've ever met and liked but sadly he turned out to be a bit of an arsehole who basically ended whatever was going on between us at the time over snap-chat by sending me a photo of him in bed with another girl. I can't even say it was a relationship because he got bored of me that quickly he ended it. It's something that really did affect me at the time especially as I'm seeing all my friends get into serious relationships, get engaged and even get married and start a family and I'm still here alone but now I am completely over it and just come to realise that I'm only 25 years old. I really shouldn't be worrying about relationships just yet as there is still a lot I want to do with my life.




                                                                                                                    Travel
2016 was the year I finally picked up my passport and decided to travel more. I went to Mauritius twice. I went in January for 3 and a half weeks and then again in June for another 3 weeks. My family on my Mum's side are Mauritian and I hadn't seen a lot of my family there since I was 9 years old. In 2015 when I got my job at British Airways I made a promise to myself that I would make Mauritius my first trip and not only did I go there once but I went there twice in a year. I won't lie, conquering a 12 hour flight for the first time since you were 9 is very challenging. I couldn't remember it and it was the longest flight I've been on in my adult life. I was absolutely terrified but it wasn't bad and I actually ended up really enjoying it. I absolutely loved visiting Mauritius and seeing all my family over there some of whom I'd never met before but had spoken to on the phone briefly. It was a special trip if not a little emotional. My Grandad sadly passed away in 2008 so this was the first time I had been to Mauritius when he hadn't be there. Visiting his room made me very emotional as his room has a ton of photographs of the entire family. These included photos from when I was younger, my first school photos both primary and secondary, photos of my parents wedding, other family members when they were younger and then photos of him with us all as well. Very emotional but so special as they were things I never knew existed until I went there and now I'll treasure the memory of that room forever. Just knowing how proud he was of all his children and grandchildren makes me so happy. 

I also visited Yorkshire for a week over my birthday and it was amazing. I'm quite lucky in the sense my birthday falls in the summer and always tend to be away. This time it wasn't travelling overseas but instead was travelling within the UK. Yorkshire is a place that I've always loved. I went there a couple of times as a child and have so many fond memories. I just love the Yorkshire moors, the food, the atmosphere, the countryside, it's just so so beautiful. 

In December I went to Germany with my Dad and brother for a few days and it was absolutely amazing. Germany is another special place that is close to home as it's where my Grandmother on my Dad's side was from. She lived in Scotland for most of her life which is where my Dad and Grandad were from but she was originally from Germany in a small town called Osnabruck. It was a very special trip as not only did we get to experience the incredible German markets but also got to see the church my Grandparents got married in and we even took a trip down to the house my Grandmother grew up in. Hearing stories about my grandparents during the war and things that happened when my Dad visited when he was a boy was really heartwarming and even though it was an extremely quick trip it was a very special one and I'm definitely hoping to go back one day in the future as it's an extremely special place. Beautiful too. 

Blogging 
2016 was definitely the year I had a love-hate relationship with blogging. I don't know why but I just didn't enjoy it as much anymore. Blogging is something that has improved my happiness and confidence a lot but this year thanks to work and other commitments I just didn't have enough time for it. I also spent a lot of 2016 comparing my blog to that of others and something I once had so much love for suddenly became work and something I ended up dreading. I took a few breaks and posted when I wanted to however it was still the worst year for my blog in terms of engagements through fault of my own really, I didn't promote my posts or blog as much and definitely saw a decline in everything. I'm really hoping 2017 is a better year for this as it's something I'm definitely going to try and improve on.


So there we have it. As you can see 2016 was a pretty good year for me and I don't really have any complaints. I know the world got into a bit of a state in 2016 and we lost so many amazing icons which I am extremely sad about. Here's hoping 2017 is a better year for the world of entertainment and the world in general. No more pointless wars or places being bombed for no reason please. I have entered 2017 with a positive and happy mindset and I'm hoping this continues for a long time. Once again I wish you all the happiest 2017. Join me tomorrow where I'll be posting all about my 2017 goals and resolutions.

What has been a highlight of your 2016? 
Hugs and Kisses
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Hi Everyone! Thank you for passing through. If you leave me a comment thank you very much and I'll make sure to respond within 24 hours. If you would like a quicker response please tweet me at @xbellefleurx. Thank You!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig